Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Punk'd by the County Assessor

I am sure that I have unknowingly become a part of reality TV. But, I never realized that government would be in on it. That's right: I got punk'd by the county assessor.

The FTI Compound is located in a mostly rural county in my state. There isn't a lot of industry here and is one that has traditionally relied on natural resources and it's related industry to shoulder the taxing load. With the current economic downtrend, the local factories have cut shifts, been sold, or moved out of the area in order to compete. As a result, housing values have dropped, we have the 2nd highest unemployment in the state, and there is a general malaise to the economy. Therefore, when I opened the official "Assessor's Notice Of Value Change For Taxes Payable In 2009", I assumed that our property tax responsibility would be somewhat less. Negative. Instead, my duly elected county official sent me an official greeting announcing that the total assessed value had increased 13% over prior year! Let me give you a snapshot of my area Mr Assessor: The home next door is currently going through a short sale after being on the market for 20 months; a home 1/4 of a mile away sold after being foreclosed; an over the top, more house than anyone would buy, 2 times over priced, shrine-on-the-hill built by Alfred E. Neuman's nephew begs for visitors (let alone buyers), and yet, my assessed value goes up??

Right now, I am waiting for someone to drive up in a non-descript white Chevy Malibu with the county crest on the side to tell me this is all a big joke. I hope they get here pretty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your corrections, musings, and notes of sympathy. Due to the limited cognitive ability of our staff, please limit words to no higher than a fourth grade comprehension level.